Sunday, February 28, 2010

Liberal Youth: I've got to admit it's getting better, a little better all the time...

And so another Liberal Youth Conference is at an end, and whilst it was a mite fractious, I thought that it went rather well.

Hustings were delivered, and although the agenda didn't really allow an optimal amount of time, the hustings for Chair in particular were lively and, I think, well received. Ballot papers were distributed to members, and I'll be taking care of postal ballots tomorrow. I also ended up aiding the Chair in the Executive Reports section that followed, on the probably sensible grounds that having an old hand around might prove useful.

The Executive Committee discussed a timetable for the next set of annual elections in its afternoon meeting. Whilst the constitution does lay down a number of minima, it is usefully silent in the issue of maxima in some instances. Accordingly, I have proposed a timetable leading to a count on 16 June as follows;

Late March/early April - issue of election notice

17 May - close of nominations

26 May - issue of postal ballot and manifestos

16 June - count, location to be decided

This allows the calling notice to go out well in advance of the General Election, allows candidates a chance to campaign amongst the membership, gives members time to vote and provides a little time for new members of the Executive to plan for the year ahead.

All in all, a good day's work. And best of all, my second leaflet is printed and ready for delivery in Stowupland. So I've achieved something too!

No comments: