Wednesday, January 27, 2010

So, what does a Regional Secretary do?

I admit that, in my second incarnation in the role, I have been obliged to ponder this somewhat. Whilst in London, the role was quite a traditional one, minuting, Executive servicing and the like, in East of England things are rather different.

Again, I have a Regional Administrator to work with, but this time Lorna does the constitutional bits, leaving me, at least as far as the Constitution is concerned, without much to do. On the other hand, I've received more e-mail seeking advice in my first month as I did in all my three years in London. In a more widespread Region, e-mail is clearly more important in the absence of potential face-to-face contact.

There is a role beginning to emerge, it seems. Firstly, the Regional Constitution. Someone needs to know how it works, who is responsible for what and how the different parts of the Regional Party interact, and that someone is going to be me.

Liaison with the wider Party is next. The Region feeds into English Council and to the English Council Executive, who decide upon the level of membership fee rebate we get (as well as that for Local Parties). I should also keep in touch with my opposite numbers in other English Regions to see what they're up to, and if there are any issues of mutual interest. Information gleaned can be disseminated across the Regional Executive and beyond.

Process consultancy for Local Parties is another likely source of work. What to do if, for example, you have candidate selection issues for local elections, dispute resolution, who to talk to for what. It mostly resembles being a village switchboard operator on one of those old exchanges, sticking jacks into holes.

There will doubtless be more as the job unfolds, but in the meantime, I'll be busy enough, trying to manage the flow of communication in and out. Any questions, you know where to find me.

No comments: