Wednesday, January 20, 2010

An outside shot at the big league?


I got an unexpected telephone call yesterday, from a very polite young man at the Evening Standard called Josh, and I should confess that it took me a little while to get to grips with the idea that a newspaper would call me - it seemed improbable that any good would come of it. Yes, I'm married to a politician, so I'm painfully aware of what some journalists can do.

However, once I had gathered myself, he explained that he had read my posting on David Cameron and marriage, and wondered if I would be willing to respond to a comment piece published in their newspaper on Monday, written by Matthew d'Ancona. He had, very kindly, e-mailed it to me in case I hadn't read it. 150-200 words would be greatly appreciated, and I felt unable to resist. After all, the public act of blogging is related to a desire to have your voice heard, and the possibility of being published in a newspaper with a distribution, let alone readership, of 600,000... well, you should, shouldn't you?

So,with time of the essence, I came up with something and, possibly, maybe, it will be in today's Evening Standard. Then again, it might not be, I don't know yet. Given that the widest circulation publication I've ever written for was 'Liberator', this might be a bit of a leap into the dark.

5 comments:

Jennie Rigg said...

YAY!

Mark Valladares said...

Thanks Jennie!

* hug *

Jennie Rigg said...

Well, it's about time your genius was recognised ;)

Matthew Huntbach said...

I've had emails from this Josh asking me to write some comments on various things. But after a few times when I carefully did so and got not even an acknowledgement in reply let alone anything published, I gave up responding to him.

Mark Valladares said...

Matthew,

All I can say is that he did publish it, and although it was edited a bit, it does say what I hoped it would.

Who can tell?