Tuesday, January 12, 2010

The search for a new Chair for Liberal Youth begins here...

Soundings having been taken, and the Constitution referred to, an election for a new Chair of Liberal Youth, to hold office until the next round of Executive elections after a General Election, will take place, with the result to be announced in York on 28 February.

A call for nominations will go out as soon as possible, closing fourteen days after the announcement, so as to allow maximum time for any candidates to make their case. Postal ballots will also be available, as I believe it to be vital that as many as possible of Liberal Youth's 3,500 members can take part.

Candidates will be encouraged to use social networking, blogs and other electronic media to reach out to members, whilst official Liberal Youth media, 'The Libertine' and the website (forums excluded) will be expected to remain neutral during any campaign that materialises. I intend to carry out my duties in as 'light touch' a manner as possible.

Hustings will take place in York on the morning of 28 February, and I will be present to supervise those hustings, accept ballot papers, carry out the count and announce the result.

I hope that I can rely on all members of Liberal Youth to show due respect for the process itself, and to any candidates who may present themselves.

If there are any questions, I will make my contact details available to members via the Liberal Youth forums, in the members-only area.

Finally, I urge members of Liberal Youth to engage fully in this election. The value of a democracy is measured by participation, and I would like to see a high turnout, so that the winning candidate has an optimal mandate to lead the organisation into a vital General Election campaign.

No comments: