Thursday, October 04, 2012

Inspired by the urge to be re-elected, your writer drafts a manifesto...

This getting elected business is harder than it seems, and whilst the world and her grandmother have announced that they are running for the Federal Executive, Federal Policy Committee or Federal Conference Committee (depending on whose fault they think it is), I'm throwing my hat into the ring for a second term as a member of our delegation to ELDR Council.

So, as the deadline for submitting my manifesto has now passed, here's what I've written...



Keeping my promises


Two years ago, a surprising number of you put your faith in me to represent the Party as part of our delegation to ELDR Council.

I had promised that I would report back and, using my blog, and Liberal Democrat Voice, I have done so, providing information about ELDR meetings, and encouraging people to get involved. I even wrote an article inviting other candidates to run for this position.

I also promised that I would try to contribute to the work of ELDR, using my skills and experience as a Party bureaucrat. This year, I have become a member of ELDR’s Financial Advisory Committee, working with colleagues across Europe to improve its finances, and with our Party headquarters to gain the best possible advantage from our membership.



What else might you want to know about me?


Hopefully, that is enough to persuade you to vote for me this time. But it isn’t all that I’m doing. I’m part of the Editorial team at Liberal Democrat Voice. I’ve also spent the summer chairing the European Parliamentary shortlisting committee for the East of England, working with fellow activists to find the best people we can to represent our Party in 2014.

Away from European politics, I am a Parish Councillor in mid-Suffolk and Treasurer of my Local Party (Bury St Edmunds), and I blog at www.liberalbureaucracy.blogspot.com, where you can find out more about me, or, if you have any questions, you can e-mail me at markv233@aol.com.

We'll see if it's enough in due course.

No comments: