Wednesday, March 12, 2014

It's time for a little adventure

As I have noted before, I do like a nice train ride, which is why this post comes to you from St Pancras International. But, instead of taking the Midland Main Line service to Market Harborough for stations to Bonkers Halt - hope that you enjoyed the cake, my Lord - my train will turn right and head for the Continent, en route to Brussels.

I am off to meet up with Ros, who is safely ensconced in her hotel room in Aalborg, where she is preparing for the 25th Anniversary Conference of the North Sea Commission. She had to be there today, whereas I don't have to meet her until Friday evening, so I thought that I might take the pretty(ish) route by land.

It can be done in a day, with a very early start, but I don't do early starts and like to look out of the window, so that rules out travelling by night. Accordingly, my journey is in three parts - London to Brussels today, Brussels to Hamburg (via Cologne) tomorrow and Hamburg to Copenhagen on Friday.

My journey starts in a slightly down at heel way, in Standard Class on the 17:04 Eurostar to Brussels Midi. I usually splash out on Standard Premier but, on this occasion, I've decided to put the saving towards a good meal and some beer. Eurostar could do with a bit of refurbishment, with its grey upholstery, grey carpets, grey walls and general greyness, all made that little bit more depressing by the fact that the train is crowded, space is limited and little things like powerpoints to charge my gadget only exist in Standard Premier and Business Premier.

But it is only for two hours, my neighbour at the window seat is reading something unbelievably tedious-looking with lots of statistical data and calculations, so he shouldn't be much trouble. And, at the end of it all, is Brussels, a city I like and know well.

So, off we go, and let the journey begin!

No comments: