Monday, September 16, 2013

What if I want a Stronger Society in a Fairer Economy?

The Conference slogan, "Stronger Economy, Fairer Society" is the on-message mantra of choice for the go-getting Liberal Democrat this week. Luckily, I'm not go-getting any more - was I ever? - so don't have to be quite so faithful to the 'line'.

I think that it was Simon Hoggett who suggested that you should reverse a slogan to measure its worth...

"Weaker Economy, More Unfair Society"

No, doesn't really appeal, does it?

But, whilst I gently poke fun at my Party, there is a point, indeed points, to be made.

I find myself wondering what a stronger economy looks like. Bigger GDP? Greater growth? In a world where emerging economies demand greater equity, wouldn't a sustainable economy be a stronger one? Might not sustainable levels of public spending make for a stronger, more resilient economy?

And as for a fairer society - and I must declare my sense of frustration over the casual abuse of the word 'fairer' - what does that mean and towards whom is it directed? Is taking a position supported by the majority 'fair'? And if so, what does that mean for minority members of our community?

A fairer economy (and that's still the sort of bastard phrase that might appeal to any weasel in a storm) might ensure that people are rewarded on the basis of genuine risk-taking and/or effort, might redistribute on the basis of genuine need. It might, whisper it quietly, punish the malevolent, the feckless and the corrupt.

A stronger society might, for example, engender greater personal involvement in one's community, encourage pride in that community, celebrate the achievements of its members. It implies a tangible change in the way we interact as individuals and within our wider community.

However, the people who write our slogans don't consult me, and they may possibly be a wee bit more qualified than I am, so...

1 comment:

Jennie Rigg said...

"Stronger Society" makes me think of totalitarian regimes and pogroms and people like me being sent to death camps, though. I don't know why, there's just something about it that smells of conformity and compulsion.

...

It appears I am continuing this week's "oversensitive" streak...