Thursday, September 12, 2013

A slight detour on the road to Utopia...

I have, it might appear, taken a rather wrong turning en route to Glasgow. The beer is trappist, the time zone one ahead, although there may be more Liberal Democrats within a five mile radius than might be the case in my beloved Creeting St Peter.

I do have a good reason to be in Brussels though, in that I'm here to lend my intellectual weight to the Financial Advisory Committee of ALDE, Europe's liberal umbrella party. I've read my papers, submitted my thoughts on the ethics of political fundraising, mulled over accounts (I knew that the bookkeeping course would come in handy!) and puzzled over possible membership fee structures, so I'm ready to go.

There is a side benefit, in that I am obliged to spend an evening here, which means that I must eat good food and drink even better beer. Don't worry though, gentle reader, as I am bearing my heavy burden with as much equanimity as I can muster. Hell, there are people far worse off...

It does mean that I have to travel directly to Glasgow tomorrow afternoon, but the time zone change is in my favour.

But for the time being, I must leave you. My Rochefort 8 is calling, the sun has come out, and the busker across the square is surprisingly good...

No comments: