Tuesday, July 02, 2013

Ros in the Lords: Oral Question - Roads: Private Investment

Here's another of Ros's interventions that I hadn't covered, from 25 April 2012...

Lord Kennedy of Southwark isn't wild about Government policy on roads. Given that he's a Labour peer, that doesn't come as a great surprise. However, his oral question gave Ros an opportunity to make a polite suggestion to HM Government...

To ask Her Majesty's Government what lessons learned from the privatisation of British Rail they will apply to any plans for increased private investment in the United Kingdom's motorway and trunk road network.

Baroness Scott of Needham Market (Liberal Democrat)

My Lords, given that the objective of government is to encourage the investment of private finance in the transport sector, do the alternatives include the slightly less risky idea of creating a fund into which private investors can put money to invest in a portfolio of transport projects both new and existing?

Earl Attlee (Whip, House of Lords; Conservative)

My Lords, I am not quite sure about the exact proposal that my noble friend puts forward, but we are looking at all options and I will be grateful for any input from noble Lords into possible models.

I do find myself wondering if the noble Earl spotted the lifebelt being generously tossed at him. At a time when investment returns are fairly low, and pension funds are looking for new, safer ways of investing funds under their management, rather dull, yet safe investments such as infrastructure might be quite attractive.

No comments: