Friday, March 23, 2012

Thinking about thinking about thinking

In my relative semi-retirement from frontline political activity, I find myself with a little time on my hands, and a wealth of experience and knowledge to call upon. Quite a lot of it, I hasten to add, is other people's, but you know what I mean.

And so I'm musing on ways to re-engage myself, and others, back into the work required to drive the Party forward. New ways to participate, that kind of thing, and as much of it as possible in a gentler, more decent way.

I rather enjoyed my campaigning in Stowupland last year, talking to voters, and doing it at a slower pace because I'd started early. And yes, some of the conversations were difficult, but by being polite, and being prepared to stand and chat as the opportunity arose and time permitted, I began to connect with my neighbours.

In fairness, that isn't a campaigning model that works in many places. Whilst the principle of meeting your voters is sound, for most campaigners, in wards far larger and more populous than Stowupland, there just isn't the time. But it is reflective of the new politics that our leadership used to bang on about at length.

But the notion of constructive, civilised dialogue has stirred something in me, so have a look at what I have written here, and here, and add your thoughts.

No comments: