Wednesday, October 13, 2010

When Sally and Brij got married...

Monday, October 4th...

The big day had arrived, the reason why we had all come to Cyprus in the first place, the wedding of Ros's daughter, Sally, to her partner, Brij. It was, for various good reasons, a relatively small affair, but with family and friends present, they made their vows on a yacht in the harbour at Paphos, before we sailed out to sea to catch the sunset. There was dancing, singing and a bit of carousing - it wouldn't be a Scott family event without them - and not a little emotion.

Sally wore a dress which betrayed a Cypriot/Hellenic influence, with hair styled to match, most appropriate for a sunny, warm day in the Eastern Mediterranean, and looked truly lovely. Brij stuck to a dark suit, appropriately sober for such an occasion.

As stepfather to the bride, my role was relatively relaxed, my presence being pretty much the limit of the requirements, but it was nice to meet with part of my newly-expanded family, Brij's children, Kieran and Tanya. Curiously, despite never having had children myself, their existence makes me a grandfather and, it seems, soon to be a great-grandfather. A little odd for someone yet to reach his forty-sixth birthday, but something I'm pretty relaxed about.

And so Sally and Brij have set out on their married life. I wish them well, and given the increasingly cynical view of marriage in modern-day society, I admire them for taking the step at all.

No comments: