Monday, March 16, 2009

There's no snout about it, you can do something for British farmers

"And what is that?", I hear you ask. It isn't a huge sacrifice, unless you're a vegetarian, but you might make a difference. You see, it is Bacon Connoisseurs Week and so, to mark the occasion, you are asked to make yourself a bacon sandwich. If you don't fancy making one, you can always visit your local cafe, who'll doubtless be happy to do it for you.

Now I admit, I do enjoy a good bacon sandwich. I'm a brown sauce man for preference, but with good bacon, the sauce is somewhat unnecessary. And, of course, spending my weekends in Mid Suffolk means that I have access to some marvellous, locally cured, bacon.

As I've noted in the past, British pig farmers have taken a bit of a pasting in recent years. Undercut by imports, many have chosen to leave the industry. And yet the flavour of pork from an animal that is allowed to root around outside is so much better than that from an intensively reared indoor pig.


You can do more with bacon than sandwiches though, tempting though one might be to stop there. Don't take my word for it, check out this website for more ideas on creative use of bacon...

No comments: