Friday, November 16, 2007

English Candidates Committee - faceless bureaucrat in re-election upset!

In the midst of the various selections that have been concluded recently, an election for five places on English Candidates Committee (ECC) has been taking place. A stellar list of candidates has, with various degrees of nervousness, been awaiting the outcome since polls closed on 2 November, and I have to admit, I really wasn't expecting to survive.

So you can imagine my surprise when the following result reached me in a pub somwhere in deepest Lancashire;

Dawn Davidson - 21 votes
Geoff Payne - 11 votes
Mark Valladares - 10 votes
Neil Halsall - 6 votes
Brian Orrell - 5 votes
Jenny Shorten - 3 votes
Jonathan Davies - 1 vote
Mike Simpson - 1 vote

The top three were elected on first preferences, with Neil and Brian reaching the quota on transfers.

I am grateful for those who supported me, and look forward to working with the new committee in 2008. In the meantime, the ECC meets on 1 December in Birmingham, where I hope to propose a review of the endorsement rules for European selections. I'll report more on that soon.

No comments: