Monday, May 30, 2016

Campaign Diary: Day 11 - an unexpected gathering in Somersham

I'm not a big fan of canvassing on a Sunday. It's not because I'm religious, but I do think that Sundays are not necessarily a great time to knock on doors in interrupt what is still seen as a day of rest in some quarters.

That said, leaflet delivery is reasonable, and a gap in our delivery network needed to be filled. And so, Ros, Ben (our Local Party Youth Representative and a former member of the UK Youth Parliament) and I headed to Somersham to do some light delivering - I need the steps anyway, and I might as well do something useful whilst getting them.

The main core of Somersham is pretty compact, and I was making good time when my mobile rang. Ben had run into a group of people outside Somersham Baptist Church, and someone wanted to talk to me. So, I headed over, only to discover that the Baptist Church was holding an after-service barbecue for its members.

Sadly, my diet prevented me from having a burger, although there was a very thoughtfully supplied cup of tea, and I was able to talk to a number of those present and answer their questions on such issues as speeding and local representation. Mark Newcombe, the Pastor, is a Leicester City fan, and I told him how nice it was to see a team from beyond the usual suspects winning the big prize for a change. Perhaps it will be a metaphor for this by-election?

But there were still leaflets to deliver, and they couldn't wait, so, having said our farewells, we hit the streets of Somersham to finish our work for the day. Meanwhile, across Barking and Somersham, our volunteer delivery team were also out and about, spreading the word...

No comments: