Friday, May 30, 2014

The race for the Party Presidency: efficiency isn't likely to be a problem

Well, that was quick!

Yes, within the day, every one of the four candidates has kindly replied, and all are willing to answer my questions.

Now, given that there is a review underway into the recent election campaign, I don't want to put them in an uncomfortable position, so I'm planning to focus on the role of the Presidency. However, I do want this to be useful to members and activists so, if you have a suggestion (or even more than one!), use the comments space below, or use Twitter, including @honladymark, so that I see it on my timeline.

2 comments:

JohnTilley said...

Many people who remain in the party share the view of many who have left the party or ceased to be activists because they feel the party has been "captured" by a group of zealots whose strategy and aims are at odds with the centre-left community politics based party of the last 40 years.
That division in the party became very apparent after the loss of our MEPs in May.
As President how would you anticipate coping with this division ?
Do you see this as a continuing problem?

Mark Valladares said...

John,

So, having failed to read the post fully, you want each of the candidates to identify with those within the Party who want a change of leadership?

Let me explain why I think that is a bad idea.

1. Some, perhaps all of them, may be supporters of the leadership. I suppose that you might learn something from that, but I don't want them to feel pressured into taking a side.

2. The successful candidate comes into office on 1 January, by which time I hope to hell that we have settled this one way or the other, because we face certain oblivion if we go into the last four months of an election campaign in open internal warfare. So, you effectively ask them to take, in all likelihood, a position which will put them into conflict with the current President, that nice Tim Farron chap, whilst they are not in a formal position to do anything about the matter.

I really expect a little more reflection from someone of your stature and experience in the Party.