Saturday, February 15, 2014

Creeting St Peter: exercise, a good deed and some light environmentalism

Despite the wind, it's been quite a nice day in Creeting St Peter so far, and so Ros and I went out earlier for our usual walk up Creeting Lane towards Stowupland. And whilst it was good to be out, the amount of litter, even on a remote country lane, was vaguely annoying.

A small gesture for the environment
However, being vaguely annoyed doesn't achieve an awful lot, and shooting those who litter isn't encouraged, so I decided that, once we had turned for home, I would pick up some of the recyclable stuff and bring it home, and here it is - two lager cans, a Diet Coke can and an energy drink can, plus a squash bottle.

The way I see it, I have tidied our parish, protected wildlife and improved the Mid Suffolk recycling rate all in one go. And as there appears to be a never ending supply of idiots too feckless to take their litter home (although apparently not so feckless that they can't drive to a remote spot to dump their detritus...), I think that I might, when walking locally, have to take a bag in future...

No comments: