Friday, November 02, 2012

Suffolk Conservatives tell themselves that selling off care homes is a good idea

Alright, I'm a little bit of an anorak when it comes to local politics. Fair enough, following the County and District Council Twitter feeds is not for everyone, but as a parish councillor, it's handy to know what they're going to do to me as early as possible.

Yesterday, this Tweet came from the County Council;
I have to admit that this didn't come as much of a surprise. After all, the Chair is a Conservative member, and eight of the twelve members in total are Conservatives. Is it likely that the majority did much more than rubber stamp the decision of the Executive? I suspect not.

Now, I perhaps understand that the ruling Group are highly unlikely to take chances like this, but good scrutiny is a thoroughly good thing, and when Conservative-led councils in Barnet and Cornwall are experiencing serious difficulties in contracting out core services, is it likely that the mostly quiescent individuals that are Conservative county councillors are going to be so much more business-savvy?

I don't think so either...

No comments: