Saturday, March 19, 2011

What happens at a Royal Garden Party?

Alright, it isn't the question that keeps me awake at nights, so why ask it, I hear you say.

In truth, I've had a rather distracted day at the office today, productive enough, but not quite as good as I'd like. Anyway, my attention was drawn by a memo to staff inviting nominations for Honours. And, whilst I fail to see how doing my job qualifies me for one, I was intrigued and so read on. As I read, it became clear that even the Honours system is gradist, i.e. if you're lucky enough, sycophantic enough or simply good enough to make it to a high grade, you get a better class of Honour.

But I digress. Buried away in the sea of prose was a reference to Garden Parties, a subject rather more relevant to me. You see, as a noble, Ros gets invited to one each year and, whilst it's not really my thing, I ought to go to one eventually. In the meantime, for those of you who might go to one yourselves, here's an official guide to what happens...

Garden Parties take place between 4.00 pm and 6.00 pm, although the Palace gates are open from about 3.00 pm. The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh, accompanied by other members of the Royal Family, enter the garden at 4.00 pm, when the National Anthem is played by one of the two military bands playing selections of music during the afternoon.‬

‪After the playing of the National Anthem, The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh, together with other members of the Royal Family, circulate among the guests through 'lanes' which are unique to Royal garden parties. Each takes a different route and random presentations are made so that everyone has an equal chance of speaking to Her Majesty and members of her family. The Queen and other members of the Royal Family eventually arrive at the Royal tea tent, where they meet further guests.‬

‪In both London and Edinburgh there are tea tents for other guests. Tea and other refreshments are served from long buffet tables. The quantities served are enormous. At a typical garden party, around 27,000 cups of tea, 20,000 sandwiches and 20,000 slices of cake are consumed. Some 400 waiting staff are involved in the serving.‬

‪At about 6.00 pm, The Queen and other members of the Royal Family leave the garden, when the National Anthem is played to mark the end of the party.‬


‪At Buckingham Palace the Yeoman of the Guard, Gentlemen at Arms and Gentlemen Ushers are on duty. At the Holyroodhouse garden party the Royal Company of Archers and the High Constables of the Palace are on duty.‬

No comments: