Monday, March 28, 2011

It's official, I'm validly nominated...

With a track record of a quarter century of bureaucracy behind me, you would think that the process of getting my nomination papers filed would be pretty straightforward, wouldn't you? But of course, the whole process is predicated on the view of the Electoral Services team, and their word is law.

So I've spent part of my weekend getting the nomination forms just right, asking friends and neighbours to sign and print in the right boxes in the approved manner. In fairness, everyone has been very kind, with only one person refusing to sign - she doesn't do politics, she says (and I believe her too). And whilst my campaign manager has kept me on the straight and narrow, ensuring that things are done early, it means that there is less scope for last minute drama.

This morning, I presented myself at the offices of Mid Suffolk District Council with a folder of forms for both District and Parish council elections for review and, if all was well, acceptance. A nice lady took the forms away and offered me coffee while I waited. Fifteen minutes later, Phil Tallent, the Head of Democratic and Legal Services, introduced himself and asked if we could briefly discuss them.

There was a question about the description - 'Liberal Democrat' or 'Liberal Democrats' (I'm of the singular variety) - and about my agent. Martin Redbond, one of our councillors in Claydon, is kindly acting for all of the candidates in Mid Suffolk, but not for me, as I'm happier doing it myself. Besides, not only has he got enough on his plate as it is, but I've been an agent at Parliamentary level (Dulwich and West Norwood 2005), so I've got a decent grasp of what is expected.

Reassured by my answers, Phil handed over the letter, officially confirming that I am the Liberal Democrat candidate for the Stowupland ward of Mid Suffolk District Council. And there's so much to do...

No comments: