Monday, July 02, 2007

Nigel Bakhai: carrying the torch for Regional Secretaries everywhere

Being Secretary of your Regional Party is not just the province of faceless bureaucrats like myself, but can be a stepping stone to greatness. In fact, my immediate predecessor has just stepped, blinking slightly, into the spotlight as our candidate in the forthcoming Ealing Southall by-election.

I’ve got a lot of time for Nigel, and was pleased to see him survive the rigorous process by which we select by-election candidates (let’s just say that the Selection Committee is not the usual collection of local campaigners). He also beat a very good opponent at the hustings meeting, Munira Hassam, of whom I expect to hear a lot more in the future.

One of my work colleagues lives in Hanwell, and I’m pleased to note that she has received her first leaflet from our campaign team already. I’m working on persuading her to vote, and already know that she’ll vote for anyone who can defeat Labour.


I’ll also be turning up to lend a bureaucratic hand later this week, amongst the three candidate selections that I’m trying to deliver. It’s a worthy cause, and I’m optimistic that we can achieve a good result if we can get the work done…

No comments: