Tuesday, June 19, 2007

On the bus, to the plane, to the UFO and to outer space, baby…

Yes, the bureaucrat is on the road again, this time to Washington, DC for something just a little different. As I mentioned about three months ago, I have been appointed Co-Chair of the Foreign and Military Policy Commission of Americans for Democratic Action (ADA), and their convention starts on Thursday.

Accordingly, I fly to the nation’s capital tomorrow, by a somewhat circuitous route (Gatwick, Philadelphia, New York (La Guardia), Washington National). Given the amount of flying that I have to do, it seems vaguely appropriate that I am on the hawkish wing of the organisation, although this is not saying a great deal, given that we are talking about an American liberal group.

The intention is that we produce three brief statements on issues of concern, and review the existing body of policy, plus any new resolutions that emerge. The debates are generally well-informed, something that might not be expected given the external view of American politics, and the participants from a variety of backgrounds, often bringing years of international experience with them. For that reason, I look forward to the debates to come, knowing that no matter how passionate they become, we’ll all acknowledge each other’s positions (eventually).


I’ll try to blog my way through the convention, depending on internet access but if you don’t hear from me for the next few days, I’ll try to catch up in New York…

No comments: