Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Earth to Eastleigh, come in Eastleigh!

Our Membership Secretary here in Dulwich and West Norwood advised me a day or so ago that she had received 100 leaflets from the Campbell campaign team, with a request that we get them out to our members. Nice effort, ladies and gentlemen! If we had the funds to issue a campaign leaflet that would give one candidate an unfair advantage over the others, I'd rather spend the money on winning a council ward - and we have all-up elections here in two London boroughs where we are the minority administration (supported by the Tories in Lambeth, in Southwark not).

However, being a gentleman and a democrat (the latter being the prime reason I joined the Liberal Party all those years ago), I decided to approach the other campaigns to see if they wanted to do likewise (I ought to get a constituency newsletter out anyway...). I e-mailed the Hughes campaign and rang the Huhne campaign - I couldn't find an appropriate looking e-mail address. Silence from the Hughes campaign, two attempts to reach me from the Huhne campaign, admittedly unsuccessful so far, the second at 12.53 a.m. I get the impression that one campaign really wants to win...

In other news, the Reflecting Britain campaign is really taking off, with more signatories every day. If they were all to vote in the debate in Harrogate, I'd be confident of a victory. Having said that, on what grounds could anyone possibly oppose the concept, unless 'Freedom, Fairness, Trust' was intended to be just words. It wasn't, was it?

5 comments:

Richard H said...

Ironically, the reason I'm up so late is because we're fine-tuning the details of my crack-of-dawn sprint to Eastleigh tomorrow morning! ;-)

Do call the Eastleigh number I gave. Any probs getting leaflets you can reach me on 07949 291595 or richard.huzzey@history.ox.ac.uk

R.

Anonymous said...

Here in Lewisham, I've received similar bundles from the Hughesians and Mingers. I wouldn't mind but I'm not even membership secretary any more (they came with a covering letter addressed to Dear Membership Secretary).

I've probably received the same one you did from the Huhnies, but I've found difficulty discriminating between the huge numbers of different Chris-leaflets I've been carpet-bombed with.

Anonymous said...

Mark I had a similar problem try emailing Tim Prater at tim@prai.co.uk for your Huhne leafets. I am still waiting for enough Simon leafets I literally had to beg for anything and then when thye arrived where half the ammount I asked for.

Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Were you the blogger4Chris that faked YouGov figures on the politicalbetting and Guido blogs to try and give him a false impression of momentum?

Mark Valladares said...

Dear Anonymous,

If you knew me at all, you'd know that I don't hold with such chicanery. Take your witch hunt elsewhere...