Friday, July 31, 2026

Rural Communities working group - so, let the fun begin…

It would be fair to say that even my best friends wouldn’t describe me as a policy wonk. Yes, I’ve been known to come up with a compromise or two at ALDE Party events where policy making can resemble speed dating for ideas, but actual serious policy making is not an area of the Party’s activities that has been graced by this liberal bureaucrat.

That is, until now.

A few weeks ago, having read a piece in Liberal Democrat Voice seeking applicants for places on a new Rural Communities policy working group, it dawned on me that someone from the town and parish council sector ought to be included. And, given that I’ve held roles at local, county and national levels (and still hold many of them), I concluded that I might toss my hat into the ring, so to speak.

To be honest, I wasn’t really expecting very much. Like most people, I assume that policies are formulated by experts - academics and sector professionals - because, in truth, that’s a pretty good way to make policy. I don’t consider myself to be an expert. Frankly, Ros knows more about rural communities and how they work than I do and has the track record to prove it. I suspect that she’s forgotten more than I know.

And so, it was with some surprise that I received an e-mail from Party HQ, advising that my application had been successful and that I was invited to a meeting to discuss the remit and meet my fellow working group members.

There was a moment or two of doubt - my underlying sense of imposter syndrome is still there after all these years - but I was rather committed, and there would be a bunch of experts to lean on, so nothing too bad could happen, right?

The meeting took place on Wednesday evening, with an introduction from our Chair and a Policy Manager, then a brief commentary from a Parliamentary spokesperson. The members present then introduced themselves, and a varied bunch they are too, from a broad spectrum of locations and backgrounds. I focused on my parish council experience, my interests in rural transport and the implications of devolution of services to the town and parish council sector.

And so, the work begins. We’ll start by taking evidence from sectoral organisations and interested parties and, over the course of a year or so, draw up a policy paper for Conference to adopt. Hopefully, I’ll be able to contribute effectively to that process but there’s a learning curve to be navigated along the way and relationships to build.

It promises to be challenging and intellectually stimulating, which is perhaps just what I need at this stage of my life. But we’ll see how it goes.

Wish me luck!

No comments: