Tuesday, February 21, 2017

I have walked ten thousand steps, and I have walked ten thousand more...

Just before the New Year before last, I set myself the goal of walking ten thousand steps each day. I had managed forty-nine consecutive days when I was struck down with food poisoning and wasn't really capable of walking anywhere for three days.

However, on 18 February last year, I started again. And, according to my Fitbit app on my iPhone, I haven't missed a day since. I am, I admit, quite pleased with myself, as I did doubt whether I would have sufficient willpower to keep up with the walking.

It has, occasionally, involved some planning. Dealing with days when you spend twelve hours flying, time zone changes, meetings that involve sitting in a chair when you really should be walking, all of these and more have been handled somehow.

There are rewards. I'm about forty pounds lighter, four inches narrower at the waist and an inch at the collar, able to hike a bit, have more energy generally and have regained a wardrobe full of loud shirts that perhaps ought to have been forgotten. So it has been worth it.

However, one shouldn't just reach a milestone and stop. Which reminds me, I've got another loop of the village to do... 

No comments: