Monday, September 07, 2015

#busride - a detour to the 'Ship of the Fens'

I admit it, I'm rather fond of Ely Cathedral. It dominates the town and can be seen from miles, thanks to the fact that it's on the only piece of (relatively) high ground between Cambridge and The Wash. It appears to pin the town to the ground like a captured moth in someone's collection.

And so, with about twenty-five minutes to kill, it was time to head to cut across High Street, through an archway and into the cathedral grounds. Sadly, there wasn't time to get inside, but it seemed appropriate to take a photo or two for the blog.

I had forgotten that the cathedral isn't actually complete, as the Southeast transept collapsed in the eighteenth century and was never replaced. Curious, really, but I guess that there weren't the funds to do so.

But it was time to leave, I had one last ride before sunset...

No comments: