Friday, January 17, 2014

London to Copenhagen, the slow way...

So, as a distraction from my study, I've taken time out to book my travel to Copenhagen. But why Copenhagen, I hear you ask? Well, Ros has been invited to take part in a meeting of the North Sea Commission in Aalborg, and it seems sensible to make a weekend of it.

I'm in London on the Wednesday, and don't see the point of going home and then turning round again, so whilst Ros heads for Aalborg, I'll be on an early evening Eurostar to Brussels, allowing me to have dinner in my favourite brasserie on Place Jourdan, before catching a mid-morning ICE train to Cologne, where I connect with an inter-city train to Hamburg. An evening which may include beer and pork will then follow, with an overnight in another nice hotel before, on the Friday, I catch the lunchtime ICE train to Copenhagen where I'll meet up with Ros.

Cost? £39 to Brussels, standard, plus €158 for first class tickets from Brussels to Hamburg, and from Hamburg to Copenhagen, plus some reservation fees. It's a bit more than the airfare, and the two nights in a hotel add to the cost, of course, but it's a proper journey, rather than a glorified bus ride.

And that's what life should be about, shouldn't it?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Travelling should be an enjoyable experience - looking out of the window.

Anonymous said...

Last November I went to Stockholm and back the more intense 24 hour route with a sleeper. It was definately worth it, but your way sounds even better!