Thursday, October 31, 2013

And suddenly, it went dark... Day 1

Monday morning, the big storm that had wreaked havoc across the south-west was coming our way and, as I couldn't get to work anyway - all trains had been cancelled and I had decided to take a reading day so as not to waste it - I was talking to Ros when it suddenly went quiet.

The television, which had been on downstairs, was silent, so I tested a light switch. Nothing. So, I checked the fusebox, which seemed to be just fine. I popped outside to check our meter, which was out, so we had ourselves a power cut.

I learned from the last time that ringing UK Power Networks was pretty useless - they had told me to run a series of checks to test the household electrics despite the fact that I could see that the entire village was in darkness. However, they have a Twitter account, so I sent them a message.

They responded pretty quickly, even though they didn't seem to be aware that we had a problem, so, having begun to appreciate the scale of the damage across the county, I left it at that for a while.

Ros got away, as the train service across East Anglia began to run again, leaving me in a dark, cold house in the expectation that matters would return to normal shortly. I ordered a pizza for home delivery and waited...

No comments: