Sunday, August 18, 2013

Is it still possible to have online debate without abuse?

I've spent the last day or so in a blizzard of moderation over at Liberal Democrat Voice for having the temerity to suggest that, rather than rush to judgement, it might be better to wait for the facts to emerge. As for the suggestion that the media might not always be unbiased or even factually accurate, and that a range of sources might help in reaching one's opinion...

And yet, in the real world, plenty of people are perfectly capable of jumping to a conclusion based on something which fits with their biases, conscious or sub-conscious. That is, I suppose, normal. After all, in our busy lives, who has time amidst work, families, housework and all those other things to find out more? We effectively trust our media to be reasonably accurate, even as we acknowledge their biases.

Except that we don't, when asked the direct question about levels of trust in journalists. Depending on which polling company is asking the question, only about 1 in 5 of us trust them. So, why is it that too many people who comment on political websites will start from the presumption that the story they have read, or use in support of their argument is true, accurate and without spin? And why are they so dogmatic about it, to the point of surprising levels of anger, aggressiveness and downright rudeness towards anyone who might have the audacity not to agree with them?

It seems to work for them, I must say. That said, whilst they tend to dominate any debate in which they participate, they appear increasingly to be talking to (shouting at?) just each other.

I also find myself bemused by the persistence of non-Liberal Democrats who seem to have remarkable amounts of free time to find Liberal Democrats to abuse. I understand that they're angry, but given their assumption that we're all morally bankrupt and operate in an ethical vacuum, what makes them think that we're suddenly going to conclude, "You know, Steve's right, I am ethically and morally loathsome, I think I'll give up any interest in society and play gin rummy and engage a seven year old to clean my chimney instead."? It seems somewhat unlikely, wouldn't you say?

I'm not under any illusion as to the popularity of liberal democracy as a political philosophy. It is, self-evidently, demonstrated by the absence of a wholly Liberal, or Liberal Democrat government since 1911, and the status quo has some pretty enthusiastic, and motivated, supporters.

I'd like to think though that, given the chance, and a fair hearing, people could lend us their support. I'm not likely to achieve that by standing on doorsteps, aggressively challenging people's integrity and morality.

So, why does the internet seem different?

3 comments:

Paul Walter said...

Because it is easy to abuse someone knowing that you will never meet them. There are a number of people who are vicious behind a keyboard, but when you meet them in real life and challenge them, they suddenly go all gentle, shy and tongue-tied. They are often unable to articulate their anger in a social context, so they let off steam on the internet when the worst that will happen is that they receive a polite email from the LDV editorial collective explaining why their comment has been thrown into the deepest recesses of the LDV trash can.

Unknown said...

@Mark Valladares

"I also find myself bemused by the persistence of non-Liberal Democrats who seem to have remarkable amounts of free time to find Liberal Democrats to abuse. I understand that they're angry, but given their assumption that we're all morally bankrupt and operate in an ethical vacuum, what makes them think that we're suddenly going to conclude, "You know, Steve's right, I am ethically and morally loathsome, I think I'll give up any interest in society and play gin rummy and engage a seven year old to clean my chimney instead."? It seems somewhat unlikely, wouldn't you say?"

Since you've referred directly to me in your blog and the subject is the same subject that made you write this article, can you please courteously allow me to have a right of reply.

1. You make a sweeping generalisation that I am here to abuse liberal democrats rather than participate in debate. I find this offensive.

2. "but given their assumption that we're all morally bankrupt and operate in an ethical vacuum". No, that is your assumption about me and one that is quite fundamentally wrong. There are many Lib Dems who comment on here that I have plenty of time for and whose opinions I respect and gain much from reading. I also count amongst my friends several Lib Dem councillors and party members that I have a lot of respect for and for whom I would vote if they were standing in my ward. Just because I don't like the direction of the party in coalition and have quite reasonable concerns about what appears to have happened with the Joan Edwards affair doesn't mean that I think everyone in the party is morally bankrupt. I know that it is far from the truth.

I don't question your motives for acting as a moderator for this site and taking an active part in party politics - the interest in society you refer to. Please don't assume that my motives are baseless (as you seem to think given your blog entry). My motivation is also an interest in society. Why do you question the time I spend writing comments on here? I don't question why you spend so much time moderating, writing articles, writing blog entries and comments.

Mark Valladares said...

Steve,

I thought that I had answered this last night - I must have pressed preview rather than publish by mistake.

A rather unfortunate Freudian slip on my part, I fear, in that my remark wasn't aimed at you, but 'Steve' was the first name that came to mind when I wrote this blog entry. I suspect that, having spent much of the preceding twenty-four hours dealing with moderation requests for your comments, the name was lurking in my subconscious. As most of my readers here are family and friends, and not necessarily readers of LDV, they have no idea who you are anyway.

At least, not until now...

So, please accept my apology on this occasion.