Thursday, July 05, 2012

European Selection Diary: Day 5 - no time to relax, it's later than you think...

The final day dawns before the advert goes live, and we are still to agree a Regional Profile. As Chair, my role is to produce a draft, incorporate the proposed additions and corrections, and reissue it in time to get everyone's agreement. Well, I say everyone but, at this stage, getting a majority of the Selection Committee onboard may be the best I can hope for.

I have discovered some things that I had previously been unaware of. For example, did you know that Norfolk has the only milking herd completely run by a robot? No, I didn't either.

I think that we've agreed the Selection Criteria, the application form follows from that, and apart from the fact that we haven't physically met (there simply wasn't time), I think that we're in pretty good shape. I've even found time to write a report for the Regional Executive who, conveniently, meet on Saturday, presumably in Cambridge. I won't be there.

In another of those unexpected coincidences, I am also responsible for publishing the article written by the Senior Returning Officer, Jonathan Davies, for Liberal Democrat Voice on Friday. And, whilst I have noted my concern over the two week window for applications (a mite short, perhaps?), I wasn't around when the decision was taken, so I'm not taking any responsibility for any unhappiness that follows.

So, a bit of scrabbling about still to do, but it looks as though we'll be ready, by the skin of our teeth for the starter's pistol tomorrow morning. And I'm led to believe that there are candidates already raring to go... 

No comments: