Wednesday, December 30, 2009

2009 in review (part 3): trains, planes but not automobiles...

I had gotten over the irritation of the summer, kind of, and was at least willing to explain what I thought risked being lost by the approach of some in the blogosphere.

However, a much better Autumn Conference than I had feared followed, before I headed off to India, to be the very junior member of a Liberal Democrat Friends of India delegation. In an attempt to get thrown out of the country, I challenged the National Human Rights Commission about the status of homosexuals, but failed to get an answer, drank wine and reported back to the High Commission.

It was a very international autumn, as I reported exclusively on the Liberal International Congress in Cairo, and as Liberal Democrat Voice's man in Barcelona, the ELDR Congress. I even got to play policy wonk for an afternoon, and lived to tell the tale.

I had, however, turned into Jonathan Wallace. As he gave up his unequal battle with National Express East Coast, or rather, they gave up their unequal battle with him, I was left to take up the cudgels. And when, eventually, it was announced that they would be put out of their (our) misery on the East Anglia routes in 2011, I was able to dream of a better future.

No comments: