Saturday, October 17, 2009

Why I won't be on English Candidates Committee next year...

Yes, you probably heard it here first, the faceless bureaucrat won't be on ECC next year.

It's funny really, as one of the things this blog has hung on is 'candidate stuff', and I rather enjoyed using it as a means of floating ideas before taking them to ECC or, on occasion, to London Region. However, problems relating to the position of my spouse have recently made that a bit awkward, so that's done for.

Also, ECC has introduced a new approval system, and is in the latter phases of developing a new set of Selection Rules, so that there isn't a huge amount to do for a while.

Those are the justifications, and present a perfectly acceptable rationale for standing down. Except that those aren't the reasons...

In truth, I simply didn't get around to getting a nomination paper signed. It seems that I wasn't motivated enough to do anything about it, which is probably a subliminal message that it was time to go anyway. So, I'll be on the sidelines of the 'candidate debate' for a time. I'll still be a Returning Officer, I may even apply to become a Parliamentary candidate assessor under the new system, but I won't be on ECC.

Turn the page, and move on...

1 comment:

Left Lib said...

But who on earth is going to step into your shoes?