Monday, September 15, 2008

A radical proposal for candidate selection

I've been talking to Tamsin Hewitt, the English Candidates Officer of the Party. We were discussing some of the fallout from yesterday's meeting, where I raised the issue of abolishing selection committees.

There is no support for their complete abolition - that was merely a dream of mine - but I think that I've finally won the argument for a simplified process for non-target, non-Moving Forward seats, whereby we skip the selection committee phase, and go straight from advert to campaign phase. I can see that this would take weeks off of the schedule and remove the necessity of dragging unwilling volunteers to diversity awareness training, as well as reducing the number of pre-meetings for the volunteer Returning Officer to attend. We may also have found a way of reducing the costs to Local Parties of selecting their PPCs. I'll leave that for another day...

Tamsin and I do agree on one thing though. We think that televised cage matches would be a solution for the campaign phase...

1 comment:

Jennie Rigg said...

"We think that televised cage matches would be a solution for the campaign phase..."

... and, of course, the only way I would ever be selected

* flexes barrel-lifting muscles menacingly *