Monday, April 23, 2007

18 April: so far, so weary in San Francisco…

So I made my plane, I don’t think that I forgot anything (famous last words!) and the jetlag isn’t too bad… yet. The pressures of day to day life left behind, I can concentrate on having some fun for a while.

It wasn’t a bad flight, although United Airlines need to do something about the inflight entertainment on their Boeing 747’s. No seatback, rather dull movies and insufficient radio choices to keep me amused. A pity really, because Radio XFM is actually quite good. Luckily, the fact that I hadn’t slept for more than twenty-four hours meant that I kept falling asleep, despite (or for some of you, because) my purchase of the 2007 Wisden (a cricket almanac, for those of you who don’t follow this noble sport).

My hotel room is sufficient for my purposes, although this section of Market Street is notable for the rather seedy retail opportunities, and is very convenient for travelling about, with the subway station and tram stop both within 100 yards of the hotel. If I walk east of Market Street, I reach the shopping area of downtown plus one of the cable car lines.

I’ve already made it to Colma, a suburb south of the city, where my second cousin Walter lives with his wife Felba and their four children, Maria, Mary-Jepsy, Emmanuel and Petros. I hadn’t seen them since my trip to New York last year for Leon and Patti’s wedding, and as Petros wasn’t born then, it was great to have a chance to catch up.

No comments: