Friday, February 23, 2007

My name's Friday, I carry a badge

At home in front of my computer, following an evening at our Regional Conference, back in lovely, Liberal Democrat-led Camden.

I used to hate Conferences, Regional or otherwise, due to the basic fact that I couldn't network to save my life. And now, having been around an awfully long time (or at least it seems like it), most people know me so that I don't have to (go figure!). People come up to me to talk, exchange gossip - the lifeblood of political parties - or have an agenda to promote. I love it, as I am hooked on intrigue. I retain a heightened sense of discretion, because being Regional Secretary is somewhat akin to being a telephonist in a small English village circa 1928. It's all about putting people in touch with each other, and knowing enough to be able to make those connections work.

And, despite those inevitable moments when a surfeit of emotion, combined with a set of principles better suited to Victorian times (I would have taken duelling seriously and died of pistol-inflicted wounds in my early twenties) and a twist of Latin blood, leads me towards the big, romantically suicidal gesture, I tend to like people (although cats have certain redeeming features that many people don't).

The biggest advantage that I have is not actually wanting to be elected to anything, which makes me 'not competition' - a thoroughly good thing in the eyes of some. So, without an agenda other than that of good administration (don't all rush to hold the banner aloft), I can lend a hand where it might be helpful.

This evening was, as a result, quite a lot of fun. I even got to step out from behind the mask and chair a session or three. I wasn't bad, although I'm not expecting a call from Federal Conference Committee any time soon. It does have to be said that London runs a mean Regional Conference under the leadership of Alison Sanderson, our Regional Conference Chair, supported by our Regional Administrator, the legendary Flick Rea. Three Members of Parliament, an MEP, Lords, London Assembly Members, a veritable cast of thousands, and even Southwark's very own Caroline Pidgeon, speaking about youth issues.

And afterwards, in the pub across the street, I made my peace with our Regional Chair. I have to give Sean credit, he does know how to handle dissent... I even know what I should give him as a gift...

No comments: