Friday, June 03, 2016

Campaign Diary: Day 30 - a result is declared...

And so, the people of Barking and Somersham have spoken. Well, about one-third of them did - turnout was, as I predicted, 34% - and the result was as follows;

Anne Marie Killett (Green) - 212 votes
Jemma Lynch (Conservative) - 210 votes
Mark Valladares (Liberal Democrat) - 154 votes
Will Marsburg (Labour) - 38 votes

Green gain from Conservative.

The circumstances surrounding the by-election were certainly unusual. The sitting Conservative Councillor resigned, stating that;
In my election address I said I would use my “single voice to unite my like minded colleagues to continue to put local people first”. As some of you know I have some significant differences of opinion with the strategies and the way Mid Suffolk District Council conduct their affairs.
I have concluded that in the foreseeable future my time and talents will not succeed in altering the strategies, approach and culture of this organisation.
Life is too short to waste.
He sent that message widely across the ward, and it can't have helped the Conservatives. In addition, Suffolk Together, a local anti-planning group, who had held the seat from 2007 to 2015, ceased to exist, and UKIP, who had come third last time, didn't field a candidate. The Greens and Labour, who hadn't run in the past, put up candidates this time.

So, an electorate where half of the voters from 2015 had lost their then preferred choice, with public focus on Europe rather more than a District Council by-election.

We ran a decent, honest campaign. Two leaflets, letters to postal voters, doorstep and telephone canvassing, plus a polling day knock-up, was a great effort given the absence of any preparation time. And we did more than double our percentage share from last year and, indeed, 2011. So, all in all, we can be pleased that our efforts were recognised.

I wish Anne well for the next three years, and hope that the people of Barking and Somersham have the representation that they deserve at Mid Suffolk District Council.

As for me, I was co-opted back onto Creeting St Peter Parish Council on 16 May, and look forward to serving my fellow villagers in the future. I have some time to lift my thoughts to the horizon now and, whilst I do have some projects to fulfil, I'm looking forward to spending some quality time with Ros over the summer.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

58 votes between the first 3 and a 13% increase in the vote. This ward is a three way marginal for the next time round. You've done a really good job.

Did you notice that you got exactly the same number of votes as last year on less than half the turnout? Pretty incredible.

Mark Valladares said...

We have three years to campaign, and have demonstrated that we've got a core vote there which makes us potentially competative in 2019. I'm satisfied that we can take some positives from the last month.

Thank you for the kind words, and for your support.