Thursday, June 02, 2016

Campaign Diary: Day 24 - a well-timed walk around Somersham

The final leaflet was ready, and everyone was set to go. My job was to deliver Somersham, and my preparations were thorough. A Suffolk Links service was arranged for me to deliver me to Somersham and collect me afterwards, I had the leaflets, all that was needed was for me to stick to time. Luckily, it was a beautiful day, and I set off in high-spirits, a small rucksack on my back loaded with leaflets, and a plan.

Somersham is not so big that it can't be delivered by one persistent individual, and because of its layout, you can actually deliver it without ever doubling back upon yourself. And so, starting at Springfield Road, which has about 8% of all the doors in the ward, I set off, talking to residents as I passed by. It was all very pleasant, and people were quite happy to talk, even if I couldn't persuade them to vote for me, and a pleasing number of them were willing to offer me their support.

The view from the end of Chapel Lane,
Somersham. This is not urban
campaigning...
Along Brook Way, past Cherry Tree Cottages and Mill Lane, as far as the Duke of Marlborough I went, sticking leaflets through letterboxes, on to the Baptist Church in Chapel Lane, then Watering Close and Hall Lane, turning back towards the centre of the village.

It was getting increasingly warm, and I was beginning to regret not bringing a hat, but I was still surprisingly fresh. Past the Community Shop, into, and out of Prince's Gardens, on towards the garage, before crossing the road, heading up Church Lane to Black Barn Close and the final stretch up Flowton Road to Park Cottages.

Despite frequent stops to chat, I was making excellent time and finally made it back to the Community Shop, leaflets delivered, with about fifteen minutes to spare. My ride was early, and I was on my way, footsore but happy to have gotten the job done...

No comments: