Saturday, June 04, 2016

@gdnmembership - are you ever going to give up with the begging letters?

This morning, I received an e-mail from Guardian Members, asking for my support. I used to be a Guardian reader. Yes, I admit it. I'm a liberal, internationalist and socially aware, the very sort of person who fits the stereotypical Guardian reader profile.

However, a few years ago, I gave it up. "Why?", I hear you ask. Because it had become really annoying. Bloody Polly Toynbee didn't help, with her usual "this Liberal Democrat idea is a good one, vote Labour" shtick, but it had become, how can I put this, too worthy, too right-on. And so I switched to the Times.

"The Times? A Murdoch paper? But why?"

I know, evil tax dodger, too happy to tell us what we should be doing but not committed enough to actually bear the consequences by living here. And yes, the Times has an agenda. But I know what that agenda is, and retain sufficient critical faculties to be able to filter what it reports through my own liberal sensitivities.

However, the Guardian refuses to leave me alone. I get, through various channels, repeated begging messages, asking me to support Guardian Media Group by giving it money. I will be frank, if I wanted to give them money, I would buy the newspaper. I choose not to, which perhaps should be a hint.

So, accordingly, I've pressed the "unsubscribe from all" button today, following the link from the e-mail. Ah well, that's one more job out of the way...

No comments: