Saturday, June 04, 2016

Creeting St Peter: learning how to clean road signs...

There are only two ways out of the village by road, Creeting Lane to the north towards Stowupland, and Pound Road which runs south before reaching a T-junction (left for Creeting St Mary and Needham Market, right for Cedars Park, Stowmarket and the A14).

Before...
And, as you enter the village, there are signs identifying it, above which are 30 mph speed limit signs. One of the two at the south end has been annoying me for some time, as it has been covered with green slime all winter. Today, in my capacity as Parish Councillor and concerned citizen, I decided to change that.

My first job was to cut back some of the tree growth that was obscuring it and, in the knowledge that I would have to pass it on my way to get my morning newspaper, I took a pair of secateurs with me. A quick trim, and the sign was clear of obstructions. Naturally, I tweeted the fact that I was tidying it up. It still looked awful though.

After...
Liberal Democrat Party President, Sal Brinton, thought so too, and wanted to see what it looked like once I'd finished. And so, armed only with a washing-up sponge and a pump action plant sprayer filled with warm, soapy water, I set to work.

Actually, it did the job, and whilst I'm not convinced that the washing-up liquid actually has much effect other than to complicate matters, the slime came off nicely. So, I did the reverse side as well - it's the "National speed limit applies" sign - just to complete the job.

I think that it's come up quite nicely, although the sunshine helps, doesn't it?...



No comments: