Saturday, March 21, 2009

Unlock Democracy - fighting to close the democratic deficit

I've been involved with Unlock Democracy and one of its predecessor organisations, the New Politics Network, for a few years now, after their Director, Peter Facey, asked me if I would be interested in getting involved. Given my long-running interest in the workings of our democracy, and twenty-five years as a jobbing Returning Officer at student union and Party levels, it was an easy offer to accept, and I've served on the Council of the two organisations since then.

However, last month my level of engagement rose to a new height, when I became a member of the Management Board of Unlock Democracy. Our role is best described as working with our Director to develop a strategy whereby the aims of Unlock Democracy are best pursued.

It is vital that such organisations are supported, as they fulfil a role unsuited to political parties, and I take the view that, in this regard, I'm there as a believer in a stronger democracy rather than as a Liberal Democrat.

At last night's event held by South Cambridgeshire Lib Dems, Peter and I coincidentally happened to be present, and we took the opportunity to catch up on how things are going. We're very lucky to have people like James Graham and Alex Runswick, to name but two, working for us, and I am conscious of my responsibilities as part of the management team. So I'm hoping to dedicate a bit more time towards Unlock Democracy in future - not to interfere, you understand but to support their efforts as best I can.

No comments: