Saturday, March 07, 2009

Harrogate - Day 1: In a darkened room with Howard Dean

At some point, I suspect that someone will realise that where Ros goes, they aren't obliged to let me follow. However, in the meantime, I get some opportunities that, how can I put this, might not be available to everyone.

The Liberty Network drinks reception with Howard Dean took place at a discreet venue, a little way from the Conference Centre. There was some very good wine served - no nibbles, unexpectedly - and a gathering of individuals who have, been generous to the Party in the past. Governor Dean spoke briefly but entertainingly before fielding questions from the floor.

I was keen to discover what he felt were the key aspects of his success as Chair of the Democratic National Committee. His enthusiasm for technology, his support for unfashionable State Parties and the purchase of their building laid a solid foundation for the success that followed. Interestingly though, involvement in more campaigns at more local levels, Mayoral and State House contests, has built a stronger, more permanent campaigning machine.

We were then shepherded out of the reception to a dark and shadowy room where a table was set for sixteen. It would be wrong if I suggested that it was, for the most part, a group of men smoking cigars, drinking the finest brandy and discussing world domination. For one thing, we're Liberal Democrats, so it was a non-smoking event...

It was a fine dinner though, and the conversation was extremely interesting. It would be impolite to report any details, as I would be the immediate target of Lord Rennard's highly trained team of ruthless killers. So I won't. I hope that you don't mind...

No comments: