Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Lessons for Local Party Secretaries: no. 6 - technology

We’ve already discussed e-groups. However, is there any other technological support that might help you to be more efficient?

Until recently, I was a technology free zone, minuting in hard copy, typing up my notes afterwards. Without a mobile phone, I was unreachable by colleagues, who had to find me at work, at home (a challenge) or at meetings.

Now, I minute by typing my notes directly into my laptop, using a minute template to minimise the additional work required. I can go home after a meeting, edit the minutes quickly, and issue them within twenty-four hours. That way, everyone knows what they’ve agreed to do, and are more likely to actually do it.

The use of a BlackBerry means that I’m accessible virtually anywhere, can respond to a crisis of a matter of urgency quickly and efficiently, and can send messages as and when I need to.

Technology, not essential, but certainly helpful…

No comments: