Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Someone has been too clever by half...

Yesterday, I blogged about 'Progressive London' aka 'Get Ken elected in 2012'. I noted that the administration he had led prior to last year's election had become, how can I put this, morally and ethically ambivalent at best, noting Lee Jasper in particular.

Frankly, I've tended to the view that Mr Jasper and, in particular, his approach towards plurality and inclusion is decidedly sub-optimal. You can be included if you agree with him but not otherwise, and plurality is a one way street whereby his perspective should be considered when he is out of office, and yours can be disregarded when he is in office. However, that is a personal view, and anyone has a right to hold a view to the contrary.

There was, however, a quite educational exchange of comments, anonymous naturally, where the author first accused me of racism and then, when I noted my mixed race status, accused me of suffering from self-hate.

I usually enjoy these anonymous comments because, unless I happen to agree with them, they give me an opportunity to abuse the author on grounds of cowardice. Spleen venting is always amusing...

However, there was an interesting twist. I had referred to a GLA hustings in 2000, where Mr Jasper's behaviour was, to my mind, indicative of an utter disrespect for the democratic process and for the right of legitimate political movements to make the case for their views. I named the constituency but not the location. Curiously, my anonymous commenter knew where the hustings had taken place, which might lead one to reasonably assume that he, or she, was there and, might I suggest, a participant in the orchestrated abuse.

I made that point, and the comments stopped. Curious, eh...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh no they have not. You are entitled to your view Marc as others are entitled to theirs. the point that was being made was that a tory getting heckled in south London whether by Jasper or anybody else seemed a prety weak reason for your obviously open hostility toward the Man. Actually I used the juxtaposition of a Tory and Brixton to elaborate the point but it could just of easily been Peckham.

You were not accused of racism - again a massive overaction. Your description of being mixed race is facile there is only one race , the human race.

Your reaction to illustrates your obvious sensitivity to this issue.