Monday, December 08, 2008

Should seeing David Beckham in his Dolce & Gabbana scanties make me feel inadequate?

Yesterday's 'Observer' included an article that I noted with a somewhat jaundiced eye. Apparently, we men are being made to feel less than adequate by comparing ourselves with men like David Beckham and, especially for my old friend and irredeemable Gooner, Sara Bedford, Freddie Ljungberg in their expensive designer underwear. Hmmm... perhaps we might understand how some young women feel when they look at fashion magazines...

For all Gunners fans out there...
Well, no, not really. David and Freddie, to take two of the most prominent examples, are professional athletes. They are paid to spend their time training, working out etc, and they have no other professional obligation. Had I been a professional footballer, I would probably had a body like that. Instead, I have the muscular power of a bureaucrat, largely centred on my fingers and designed for pen pushing and telephone dialling. The rest of me needs work, that's true, but I prefer pork to press-ups, cheese to cross training.

So I'm one of the lucky ones. When I see a vast poster of David Beckham in his stylish but hugely expensive underwear, I think, "Heavens, he's been putting in the hours!", not, "I wish that I had a body like that.". There is something to be said for being realistic...

1 comment:

Jennie Rigg said...

The whole thing about men feeling inadequate when confronted with David Beckham etc. is a desperate attempt by the various fashion and beauty industries to capture a new market, since they have already just about reached saturation point with women.

Me personally, I'd never go for a footballer. Rugby player, maybe... I like a bit of meat on a man :D

I have to say, also, any man stupid enough to pay the prices D&G ask for scanties would get derision from me. If you're going to pay THAT sort of money for underwear, at least make them fair trade...