Monday, May 30, 2016

Campaign Diary: Day 12 - finding out how volunteers in Offton and Somersham save lives

A Monday evening, and Ros and I were on our way to Offton, the second largest of the seven villages in Barking and Somersham by voting population - there are two more voters on the register here than in Barking. The trip had two purposes, firstly to do some canvassing and for me to meet more voters, second for me to attend the Offton and Willisham Annual Parish Meeting at Offton's relatively new Village Hall.

The sun was streaming down on what had turned out to be a rather nice evening, and we headed for the area near the Village Hall to knock on some doors. Our first leaflet had clearly hit doormats on schedule, and those that we got to speak to were happy enough to talk to us. And that, perhaps is the first hurdle to get across when you're canvassing. If people are hostile, it can be a bit dispiriting, but if people are willing to give you a hearing, then you can have a conversation, something I enjoy.

I left Ros to carry on, whilst I headed for the Village Hall, where I ran into Mark, who was standing by the new play equipment, not yet open for use (the newly seeded grass is still establishing itself). Mark is the Community First Responder for Offton, a volunteer who is trained to attend emergency calls received by the ambulance service and provide care until the ambulance arrives. In rural areas particularly, where an ambulance might be some way away, having someone nearby who can arrive quicker, can be the difference between life and death.

Having exchanged a few words with Mark, I went into the hall itself to meet with the Parish Councillors and representatives of key community groups (church, village hall committee and the like) and introduce myself. They might not have been expecting me, but they made me very welcome - the cup of tea was particularly appreciated.

I sat through the meeting, listening to the reports, including that of the County Councillor, Julia Truelove. Julia was elected in Ros's place when she stood down in 2005, and has carried on serving the communities across Bosmere ever since, and has offered helpful advice in terms of campaigning ideas.

At the end of the meeting, I was asked if I would like to say a few words. As I hadn't prepared anything - I hadn't intended to gatecrash their event, and was the only one of the four candidates in attendance - I simply introduced myself, explained what I would hope to do if elected, and asked if anyone had any questions. There weren't any, although, if I do get elected, I thoroughly expect that to change!

All in all, a very pleasant and informative evening, but time doesn't stand still, and I had to get home for more campaign preparation. All I could hope was that I'd made a good impression...

No comments: