Monday, May 30, 2016

Campaign Diary: Day 10 - getting that all important first leaflet out

A bunch of nice shiny leaflets had arrived, and whilst there is a network of local deliverers out there who very kindly deliver our leaflets (and yes, they really are delivered by local supporters), there are always likely to be gaps, if only because people are away, or busy, or just can't get them out as quickly as is required during a by-election.

Luckily, as I have set myself the goal was walking 10,000 steps each day (and 12,500 in May), I was only too happy to fill some of the gaps in. I wasn't alone, with some of our key activists pitching in to get the job done.

I actually enjoy delivering leaflets. You can maintain a nice steady pace, listen to a little music as you walk and, helpfully, you're bound to meet people who can be canvassed for their support. In Barking and Somersham, that is made easier by the fact that people are used to Liberal Democrats, and vote for them too, given an opportunity and the right candidate.

As the candidate, I always think that it's important to be fairly self-sufficient and, besides, people aren't used to seeing candidates about the place. I have been told a number of times already that "we don't see very many candidates here", and I tend to the view that, if you can meet people, you should. After all, if you want them to vote for you, you should give them a chance to "look you in the eye", as it were.

And I have the advantage of being pretty amiable - I find people really interesting, so making conversation comes relatively easily, even with people who aren't likely to vote for me. Besides, a District Councillor has to represent all of the people, not just those that vote for them...

I got home to reports that the leaflet was safely going through doors across the ward. The campaign was running as smoothly as I could hope... 

No comments: