Tuesday, October 20, 2015

[insert title here] - 20 October 2015

Happy anniversary, employer who shall not be named!


Amazing really, it's been twenty-nine years since I walked through the doors at [redacted] to start my first day as a [redacted]. Nowadays, of course, I'm not allowed to tell anyone what I do through the medium of this blog. However, I still enjoy what I do, even if the government would really rather wish I would expire before I can pick up my thoroughly deserved pension...


On this day... in 2010

I was discovering why Parish Councils seemed to be bound to cheques, rather than electronic banking, and actually being vaguely grateful to Grant Shapps. I must have been suffering from sunstroke at the time...


Perhaps it wasn't such a fluke after all...

Remember Ruth Ellen Brosseau? She was the assistant bar manager from Ottawa who managed to win a Quebec riding in the 2011 Canadian federal election for the New Democratic Party despite a) not speaking much French in an area where nearly 80% of the population don't speak English at all, b) not visiting the riding, c) spending nothing on her campaign and d) going on holiday to Las Vegas during the campaign.

Well, she went away, learnt to speak French fluently, and became a pretty good MP. The result, an increase in her vote and easy re-election yesterday, despite her party's decline nationally. Just goes to show, doesn't it?...

No comments: