Monday, February 17, 2014

Things that I have learned from being a member of a gym

Now that I've been a member of a gym for three months or so - and no, that's not showing off, as I'm still a walrus - some things are becoming apparent.

Firstly, I'm really not young any more. My fellow gym users are, for the most part, in their late teens and twenties, except those who are clearly there to build vast muscles that make them look a bit like bison. Each to their own on that one, I think.

Secondly, the music they play in gyms is suited to people who go to Ibiza to dance and party. That isn't me. However, unless I invest in some serious headphones, or find a gym that plays chamber music whilst one works out, I'm just going to have to put up with that.

Next, tattoos. I don't have one, and this clearly puts me in a fairly small minority, at least within the subgroup described as male users of Klick Fitness in Ipswich. Some of them have lots - it's the sort of thing that one can't help but notice. I'm still not tempted...

And then there's what to do to keep your mind occupied whilst you work out, especially if, like me, you are attempting to burn fat and rebuild aerobic capacity, rather than look like a bison. I tend, for now, to do arithmetic calculations in my head (yes, I know...), but if anyone has any better ideas...

Finally, and much to my surprise, I'm actually beginning to enjoy it a little. Not hugely, as the temptation to opt out is still there, but a little. Perhaps, inside this walrus is a leopard seal waiting to get out?...

No comments: