Saturday, March 19, 2011

There's always time for another leaflet...

Having discovered that I become a candidate on the first day for nominations, at least, having announced myself as the Liberal Democrat candidate for Stowupland ward in a previous leaflet, which I guess amounts to the same thing, my expenses are going to be calculated as running from the day that nominations open, i.e. 25 March.

So, it was handy that my March leaflet arrived yesterday, giving me a chance to deliver as much of it as possible before that important date. However, we're still putting the house back to rights, so it was agreed that I would deliver leaflets whilst Ros tidied.

Off I went, in the blazing sunshine, taking on the area of Stowupland which is deceptively tricky to deliver, as the Reeds Way area is made up of little spurs, and you have to keep your concentration to make sure that every house gets a leaflet. But I was making good time, delivering the first two hundred at a rate of two a minute - I'm not as quick across the ground as I used to be, but I'm dogged - so I pressed on, around Columbyne Close, across the north end of the village green, along Thorney Green Road and down Mill Street, until I'd delivered nearly four hundred. That's a good start, as there are less than a thousand homes in the entire ward.

It was time to head for home, or more accurately, call Ros to come and get me. Unfortunately, the battery on my BlackBerry picked that precise moment to die, leaving me with two options, find a payphone (and there aren't many in Stowupland), or walk home.

In the sunshine, and given that it's a much shorter journey from Stowupland to Creeting St Peter on foot than it is to drive, I decided that the exercise would do me good. It's a lovely walk along a bridleway, along the edge of some fields and then down a slope across the middle of a field (thank goodness for local farmers who leave public footpaths free of obstacles), reaching Creeting Lane just north of the village.

I reckon that I earned that glass of red wine...

No comments: