Sunday, January 01, 2006

Why I'm running for Secretary, by Mark Valladares (aged 41 and a bit)

My New Year's resolutions made (and no, I'm not telling you what they are!), it's time to turn my attention to actual achievement.

Having decided that I would run for Regional Secretary, following the kitchen sink drama that was my resignation in late November, I should at least state why I'm doing it and what I hope to deliver in 2006 if elected.

Good administration matters. Not good administration simply from the viewpoint of a bureaucrat, neat, tidy, and in line with the rulebook but good administration that honours the liberal principles I stand for. Clean, transparent documentation that informs everyone quickly, efficiently and honestly, without spin or varnish, whilst maintaining appropriate confidentiality. Provision of information that allows every member of the Regional Executive to play a full part in the successful running of the Region, and conveys a message to the Local Parties that says what we're doing and why.

Linked to that is respect for each and every person that I deal with. I won't always agree with them but they have a right to their opinion and, equally important, a right to express it. By making meetings more effective, we create time for proper, meaningful debate and discussion and we make the Executive stronger, more effective and more relevant both at constituency level and at the State and Federal levels.

I also believe in widening involvement. I have tried to encourage those who were unsuccessful in the recent Regional elections to think about serving on one or more of our standing committees. These people are interested, and willing to commit their time, energy and experience to the Region. Let's bring them on board!

Finally, I stand for diversity. The Regional Officers last year were not reflective of the community we hope to represent, unless we want our vote to come predominantly from white males. I would like to see more women as both Officers and on the Regional Executive as a whole, and a greater black and minority ethnic presence. My motion to the Regional Conference wasn't a gesture, it was a statement of intent.

So, in summary, doing it well matters. Doing it right matters even more. I accept that many will never understand my passion for this but bear with me, the more you see, the more you'll understand...

No comments: