Friday, December 21, 2012

Ros in the Lords: Written Question - Higher Education: Tuition Fees

Here's another of Ros's interventions that I hadn't covered, from 3 October 2011...

Ros hadn't given up on seeking further clarity on the less well-publicised elements of student finance...

Baroness Scott of Needham Market (Liberal Democrat)

To ask Her Majesty's Government whether the funding of tuition fees for, and repayment of loans by, students taking second degrees varies from that which applies to other students.

Baroness Garden of Frognal (Liberal Democrat)

The Higher Education Funding Council for England (HEFCE) does not usually provide a funding contribution towards university tuition fees for students that are studying a second degree, although some exemptions apply to students studying subjects rated as exceptional, which currently covers subjects such as: medicine, social work, nursing, and veterinary science. A comprehensive list of such exemptions can be obtained from HEFCE. HEFCE also makes a funding contribution to tuition fees for students that are studying a foundation degree, or are in receipt of disabled students allowance.

Students that already hold an honours degree do not usually qualify for a tuition fee loan. An exception is made for those students that start to study one of the graduate entry accelerated medical and dental programmes in the 2012-13 academic year. Tuition fee loans are also exceptionally made available to students studying a full time course of initial teacher training (ITT) of not more than two years (or a part time course the duration of which does not exceed four years) who have not already gained qualified teacher status (QTS).

Tuition fee loan repayment arrangements for these students will be the same as those that apply to all other students.

No comments: